DIY & Crafts

HOW TO MAKE A CUSTOM HALLOWEEN DOORMAT WITH STENCILS

FUN + EASY HALLOWEEN DOORMAT DIY PROJECT

Ever since I was a wee one, Halloween has always been my favorite holiday.  Strutting around in some crazy-ass costume without being judged by my peers for it, and then getting FREE candy on top of that?? That’s a no-brainer dream situation for me. 😁

So in honor of this magnificently mystical holiday celebrated by millions of candy-loving introverts like me, I wanted to share a cute and easy Halloween DIY project with you.

This is a super fun project you can do with your kids to get them excited about helping you decorate your home during this magical season.  Let’s get started!

STEP 1:  PIN THIS PROJECT FOR LATER!

STEP 2: GATHER YOUR SUPPLIES

Let me preface this part with the fact that I ALWAYS have a roll of painters’ tape in our garage, so I didn’t need to buy that, the ruler, or the Sharpie for this project. You don’t need to specifically use painters’ tape for this project – masking tape will work just fine.

I technically didn’t need to buy the craft knife either, but mine was really old, so I figured, why not?  And I’m really glad I did – this is an awesome little tool and I used my 40% Hobby Lobby coupon so it was dirt cheap.

Here’s what you’ll need for this project. Don’t feel the need to buy these specific items – this list is just to be used as a guide:

18″x30″ Coir doormat – $9.87 (Target also has the same size for $9.99)
12″x18″ Stencil blanks – $3.99
1″ paintbrushes – $1.99
Soft grip craft knife – $5.99
(2) tubes of black outdoor craft paint – $1.49 each
(1) tube of white outdoor craft paint – $1.49
• Sharpie marker (any color will do)
• Ruler at least 1″ wide
• Painters’ or masking tape
• Printed stencil templates – included in my Halloween Doormat Project PDF link below

>> DOWNLOAD THE PROJECT PDF HERE <<

These are a few suggested designs I quickly sketched up using Photoshop.  You could easily expand upon these ideas to create your own masterpiece!

For this tutorial, we’re making the top right version.

STEP 3:  CREATE THE BORDERS

Use your ruler as a guide to make somewhat straight lines (don’t worry about absolute perfection with this project).

Put the ruler against the edge of each of the 4 sides and place a piece of tape all along the other edge of the ruler, spanning the entire width of the doormat.

This is what it should look like when done:

Now, do the same thing for the inside border, using your ruler as your guide:

This is what it will look like (one corner pictured below).

Now, we need to trim away the extra tape (you could also leave it there to make a different design, if you so choose). This is where your craft knife comes in super handy.

This is what your doormat should look like after trimming away the excess tape from the inner border:

STEP 4:  PAINT THE BORDERS

Paint the inside border and corner squares with your black paint.

Take your paintbrush and black paint and *TAP*TAP*TAP* the paint into the doormat with your paintbrush totally upright.  This will help ensure the paint gets down into all the nooks and crannies in the rough doormat material.

Then using the same method (and a different brush), paint the outer border with your white paint.

This is what your finished borders should look like after pulling up the tape:

STEP 5:  CREATE YOUR STENCILS

If you haven’t done so already, print out your PDF stencil templates (download here).

Take your stencil blanks (make sure to peel the protective layer off each stencil blank first) and lay one stencil over each printed template.  Tape into place.

Then take your Sharpie and trace the templates’ outlines as shown below.

For this step, I used a cutting board under the stencils to make cutting them a bit easier, as well as protecting the table underneath.

Take your handy little craft knife and follow along the Sharpie lines to cut out your shapes/letters.  It’s ok if they’re not perfectly cut – the imperfections won’t show in the final product.

Also, make sure to cut some of the stencils in half (where indicated with the scissors icons).

STEP 6:  PAINTING WITH YOUR STENCILS

Start with your ghost stencil and place it wherever you like – for this post, I placed mine on the right side.  Tape it into place.

Take your paintbrush and white paint and *TAP*TAP*TAP* the paint into the doormat.

Then, use the eyes stencil and place it wherever you like it on the ghost, and tape into place.

This time, use your black paint and *TAP*TAP*TAP* again.

And then, move along to your “What’s”, “up,” and “boo?” stencils.

Use your black paint and *TAP*TAP*TAP* again.

TA DA!!! This is what your finished doormat should look like:

I just eyeballed the placement of the stencils so you certainly don’t have to do it exactly like mine.

That’s why it helps to cut the word stencils in half so you have the freedom to move them around anywhere you like.

In hindsight, I probably should have moved the ghost stencil a little more to the left, but he’s still kinda cute where he is!

STEP 7:  ENJOY WHAT YOU JUST MADE!

If you end up making this DIY project, I would absolutely LOVE to see your creation so feel free to send some pics to michelle@mysanctuarystyle.com.

If you enjoyed reading this article, please subscribe to Sanctuary’s weekly newsletter so you never miss another post. The signup box is conveniently located below.

Thank you so much for following my blog and for letting me help make your life + home a little more beautiful, simple, and serene! XOXO❤︎

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

Peaches
    10/21/2019 at 2:40 pm

Hey Boo 😁 This is adorable! you put so much effort into it & it turned out awesome..could of fooled me that you made it🙌😘
    I’m in the introvert club too!😘You are good at coming out of your shell when you need too!😁 Guess we have to.. to do what we love! But it’s easier when you just click with certain people 😘 Have a Spooktacular Halloween..what are you dressing up as!?

Michelle
    10/22/2019 at 8:13 pm

Hey, sweets! Thank you so much! It was a such a fun and easy project – I’d never made one before. I did mess up the first set of stencils – the font I used ended up being too difficult to cut. So, back to the drawing board I went!

Ah – welcome to the introvert club! I knew there were more reasons why we immediately clicked. I’m a weird introvert – I’m pretty social when I’m with my friends/family and complete strangers, but when I meet new people (through another friend), it’s like I forgot how to speak. 😲 But I definitely prefer to have more alone time – that’s where I thrive. I’m more creative and productive.

Do you get exhausted by doing small talk? If you see someone you know in the grocery, do you purposely avoid that aisle? I do!! Ha ha! I cannot stand small talk!! I’d much rather have an in-depth conversation with someone – so much more interesting.

Sadly, I’m not dressing up this year. Boo! But I have had a lot of awesome Halloween costumes to last me a lifetime! One I’ll never forget (when I was a kid living in Chicago), I was in 4th grade and I wanted to be Smurfette. I took it upon myself (um – NO adult supervision whatsoever) to take Jergen’s hand lotion and mix it with a TON of blue food coloring and slathered it all over my face, chest and arms. Needless to say, I was Smurfette beyond Halloween because that stuff DIDN’T WASH OFF! OMG. I’ll never forget that memory. Ha!

Are you dressing up? I’m preeeetty sure you’d be adorable in any costume!

Peaches
      10/25/2019 at 2:16 am

Hi Chickadee! OMGeeee your making me crack up from the isle avoiding …yes, you bet ya I do that too😂 & from your smurfette lotion story…freakin hilarious😂!!!!!
      About the avoiding thing I must get it from my mom…funny story, when my sister and I were lil, my dad’s dad…my grandpa would always stroll on dwn our driveway in the summer time unannounced to come chat Bec he’s a huge chatter box…so my mom really got annoyed by him🤣& my dad would be at work, so she’d make us all run upstairs & hide in her closet so he couldn’t hear us bec she new we would laugh when he knocked on the door to pretend we weren’t around but what’s funny is that her car was in the driveway…I wonder if he ever caught on to it…I don’t think so bec I remember him coming often😂bless his heart.
      I’m dressing my baby girl, Chloe as a cabbage patch doll…so I thought I’d be her cabbage patch mama 🙂 I found the perfect wigs on Etsy for it & will wear overalls with a patch on the front. Xx

Michelle
    10/26/2019 at 2:08 pm

Haha! I LOVE that you’re an Aisle Avoider too!! Oh my goodness – God bless your Grandpa’s heart. Holy cow – that’s so funny that your mom would get annoyed. 🙂 Cabbage Patch doll!! Genius! I haven’t seen those in YEARS! Will you be posting pics on IG? I hope so!

Peaches
      10/29/2019 at 3:00 am

Thinking about posting pics😘I’m not one to show face anymore😂 can’t wait to see what you have next up on the blog…I admire your confidence, creativity & talent! I’m still thinking how I can change my kitchen shelves to duplicate yours hehe I like them so much… possibly Etsy would have thick enough rustic shelves to accommodate alll my shit ? Do you mind telling me where you got yours? & Btw …I want to post your kitchen…do you mind!?😘How do I do it …I’m still figuring this Instagram think out…
      Hugs🖤

Michelle
        10/29/2019 at 9:33 pm

You should totally post pics AND show that cute little face of yours! Ha – I’m one talk … I much prefer being BEHIND the camera lens than in front of it. 🙂 And thank you so much for your kinds words! Honestly, I’m not a confident person, but I’m slooooowly getting there. Work in progress over here! Oh man, you should do the kitchen shelves. I’m telling you – you’ll just LOVE how convenient AND gorgeous they are. I bought our reclaimed heart pine at an architectural salvage yard an hour away from me. But, I have purchased reclaimed wood from https://www.elmwoodreclaimedtimber.com/products/reclaimed-wood-shelves for a previous house of ours and the shelves were absolutely gorgeous! And feel free to post my kitchen pics! Easiest way is to take a screenshot of my pic on your phone, then go into your photo album to edit the pic, and just crop it so it’s just the photo and nothing else. XOXO 🙂

Peaches
    10/31/2019 at 2:05 pm

Goooodmorning & Happy Halloween! You’d be glad to know that you made the right decision moving south… there’s a beautiful white carpet outside in Chicago😭while your baking in the warm 🌞ahhh
    I’m a work in progress too & I really like that you called Ig out, they can suck it is right 😁 somedays it honestly leaves me feeling bad ..haha pity me but I take a step back and say I’m not here to please people I’m here to share my talent & gain talent and all u need is 1 like and that’s Jesus Bec He’s the one who can truly move mountains for you with one touch of his favor, so I’m just waiting on Him! 😁 But don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to be admired, don’t we all like that haha!
    About the shelves…oh my what an Amazing link you sent me… THANK YOU so much!! I have white open shelves now and your right there so accessible but that wood wood just look so gooood I think…but now it’s convincing my husband to change em out Bec were thinking of a move🤣and then there’s ….what wood tone wood I go with on your link?…can I ask what you think? There is a pic of my kitchen in my feed- the white and grey colorblock & an up close of the shelves ha….or perhaps you think the white looks better in mine and you’ll tell me no wood….I’d love to hear your thoughts Chickadee! XOXO

Michelle
      11/01/2019 at 3:13 pm

Happy (belated) Halloween! (Is that even a thing? Ha ha!). Oh my goodness. I can’t recall any time in my 26 years living in Chicago when it snowed on Halloween. Holy moly! Although, that does sound REALLY refreshing right now – it’s been RIDICULOUSLY hot and humid here. I’m SO over it. I just want it to be boot weather!

IG can totally suck it. One of my close IG friends, Melissa, (she lives in Florida too) just DMd me the other day that she joined one of those Instagram follow-for follow pods or whatever and she said the messages that were flying back and forth were nuts. She said those girls were going insane that they have been losing followers and what should they do and OMG I’m gonna die if I don’t get more followers, yada yada. So Melissa was like, “I’m out.”

What they fail to realize is if Zuckerberg decides to close IG down for good one day, who gives a shit how many followers you have? It’s so ridiculous. That’s why I stopped caring about growing followers because the ones I’ve had for almost 3 years now are truly interested in my posts and that’s what matters. And the relationships I’ve formed over those 3 years – that’s what matters. I met another Florida IG friend in person in August and we had THE best time!

Ok, I’m getting off my antique soap box now. 🙂 I’d love to help you out! Why don’t you do this: email me a pic of your kitchen with the shelves and I can mock it up to show you different wood options?

Send it to michelle@mysanctuarystyle.com